Xero Shoes lightweight sport sandal - hiking running backpacking

Friday, July 15, 2011

My First Bad Run

OK, so today after two days off I went out and practiced some of the drills posted yesterday. I was surprised at how little you have to lean forward to begin forward motion when bouncing on your toes. Otherwise I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to gain from doing the drills, I'm not seeing a direct connection to actual running or form...

After drills I tried running a bit while keeping my knees bent slightly more and not reaching my foot out as far, keeping it totally relaxed. It felt . . . wait for it . . . hoorible!!! It felt completely unnatural and things seemed to hurt more. By keeping my foot relaxed I was actually kind of slapping the ground, this is probably amplified from my pancake feet. And although I couldn't hit the back of my heel hard like I had done previously, there was a lot more shock in my legs with each step as my foot smashed out from being floppy. Also by placing my feet farther back it lead to more toe roll off which caused me to get hot spots at the base of my big toe pads in just 1/2 a mile. I might just have to take some video and share it for open criticism because it seems like the more I try to "fix" my form the worse it's getting... Don't worry I'm not giving up, I just wish that it was a little easier for my thick head to pick up...
 
Today I'm also dealing with what I thought was Achilles tendon strain but today I realized that it isn't actually on the Achilles. It seems to be more on the Peroneus tendons, and Tibialis and Flexor Digitorum tendons where they attach to my heel on each side. I can walk and move fine, it's just when I touch the back sides of my heel they are slightly swollen and feel bruised... I think the softball game really did push me over the top on Monday. The old foot wasn't quite ready for a one mile run then two hours of running around on the field w/o orthotics in my cleats...

You can see the tendons I'm suspicious of in the picture below, the top two tendon labels on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment